|Photo Credit - http://arahtech.com/|
Power:- Power is the term related with the generation, transmission and distribution of electric power.
Electronics:- It deals with the slid state devices and circuits to process the signal for meeting certain objectives.
Control:- It deals with the steady state dynamic characteristics of a closed loop control system.
Power Electronics involves the study of
- Power semiconductor devices - their physics, characteristics, drive requirements and their protection for optimum utilisation of their capacities,
- Power converter topologies involving them,
- Control strategies of the converters,
- Digital, analogue and microelectronics involved,
- Capacitive and magnetic energy storage elements,
- Rotating and static electrical devices,
- Quality of waveforms generated,
- Electro Magnetic and Radio Frequency Interference,
- Thermal Management
|Relation between power electronics with control,power and electronics|
Principle of Power Electronics:-
- Power electronics is based on the principle of switching of the power semiconductor devices. Power handling capacity and speed are the two most important criterion related t power devices.
- The microprocessors and microcontrollers are being used for synthesizing the control strategies of the power semiconductor devices.
- In short power conductors act as muscles and microprocessors act as brain for a modern power electronics equipment.